Friday, September 25, 2026

D'orc Vol. 1: The Book of Certain Doom

I recently borrowed (via Hoopla) and read this collection of comics that will not be available physically until October 14th. Libraries rule!

D'Orc has been a series with a lot of buzz around my local comic book shop, and I picked up and read the first issue months ago and decided to wait for the collection. I am not made of money, people! I can see why it's been popular among folx I know, because it's a fun, funny, and action-packed adventure. The main character is the titular D'Orc, a thing of legends, born from a creature of light (a dwarf) and a creature of dark (an orc), and who is prophesied to destroy the entire world.

As if that is not enough a weight to bear, he also has an undying, talking battle-shield and the ghost head of a slaughtered chicken as companions as he travels the Scar, a land between realms where there is constant strife. Almost everyone is out to kill him, and despite this all he seeks to right wrongs and defend the weak. Also, he and his compatriots seek to find the mysterious Bone Witch, so that D'Orc can learn about his origins and the shield about the soul inhabiting it.

Not just full of action, this story also has a lot of witty banter between characters, humorous situations, slapstick comedy, puns, and magical enchantments to boot. The artwork is dynamic, cartoony, and full of emotion and personality. This series is charming and exciting, a sure-fire hit for fans of fantasy and adventure tales.

This comic book series was created, written, and drawn by Brett Bean with colors by Jean-François Beaulieu. Bean has drawn many comic book series, including I Hate Fairyland, and also a number of graphic novel series for younger readers, such as Muk 'n' Honey and Zoo Patrol Squad. Beaulieu has many credits in the comics industry, including books for Image and Marvel Comics. Bean talks about his career and inspirations for D'Orc in this interview.

All of the reviews I have read of this book have been very positive. Ricardo Andrés Acevedo called it "a wildly entertaining journey packed with enough humor and bloodlust to sate even the hungriest of comic book readers." Collier Jennings described it as "a fast-paced, funny take on the fantasy genre." School Library Journal gave it a starred review.

D'orc Vol. 1: The Book of Certain Doom was published by Image Comics, and they offer previews and more information about it here. The series is ongoing, and a second trade paperback collection will be published in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment