Thursday, November 15, 2018

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies

If you have read this blog for any length of time, you know I will read any comics Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips create. I have been blown away by their past efforts, like Sleeper, Criminal, Incognito, Fatale, The Fade-Out, and Kill or Be Killed. Their brand of action and intrigue in noir fashion has captivated and excited me over various iterations. This book is their return to the world of Criminal, only it's in the form of one self-contained graphic novel. Even though it builds on the series, I think that this book is affecting and accessible to readers who might not be familiar with the creators' other works.

The main plot here follows Ellie, who is technically a teenager but has been out on her own for a while. She finds herself drawn to musicians and artists who have addiction problems. When the book opens she is on a beach, ruminating about her life. Then, she flashes back to the recent past to see how she has ended up in her current situation. She was entered against her will into a rehab program, and she is a discontent in various areas, including being a poor participant in group therapy sessions and also frequently sneaking out after hours to have a smoke. She finds a co-conspirator in Skip, a young man in his 20s who is trying to break out of some old patterns.

Aside from the fact that romantic relationships are frowned upon in such settings, the duo has other problems that arise from factors from their outside lives. I am not going to spoil things, but their relationship takes a few turns before the end of the narrative, with a bunch of negative consequences. What I loved about this book was how it played with my expectations about characters and plot by slowly dropping revelations and twists. By the end, I learned a lot more about the story's context that involved characters and stories from the Criminal series, which I found rewarding. Even so, I feel that this tale works for readers who are new to this world, because the plot twists still work with what you do see about these characters. I love a good crime/mystery yarn that keeps me guessing, and this book definitely delivers in that territory.

The reviews I have read of this book have been very positive. Shareca Coleman wrote that it was "incredibly written, drawn, and composed." Anelise Ferris called it "affecting and thought-provoking," and added,  "It’s a perfect read for a quiet autumn afternoon." Chris Terry opined that "Sean Phillips’ artwork is as beautiful as Brubaker’s story is haunting." Joe Gordon called it "
simply brilliant," adding, "And you’re really, really going to want to make a good playlist to go along with your second reading." Derek and I also recently spoke about the book on the Comics Alternative podcast.

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies was published by Image Comics, and they offer a preview and more information here.

No comments:

Post a Comment