Thursday, August 18, 2016

Red Sonja: Queen of Plagues

Day 4 of my sojourn through the offerings on Comixology Unlimited!
Why I chose it: Like with Hellboy, Red Sonja was a series I used to read when I was way younger. It was sword and sorcery stories starring a woman who wore a chain-mail bikini, and the Frank Thorne artwork was something to behold. Seeing this revived version offered here, written by Gail Simone, whose Secret Six comics are one of the few bright spots for DC over the past decade, I was intrigued to check it out.

An excerpt:


The Bottom Line: This book was well written, and the artwork was bold and action-packed. There was much less cheesecake than in the past and more of an emphasis on the characters. Also, the backstory was updated (in a positive way) to put more of a focus on Sonja's resilience and strength rather than her sexuality. I was also taken with the plot, which involved revenge, a coup, lots of blood, and revelations about Sonja's past. Still, much of what transpired just seemed like stories I had read before, like this was a pretty typical sword and sorcery tale. I think these are some very solid comics, but I am not very inspired to peruse the series any further. In the end, I am glad I checked up into what the new Red Sonja was about, but there was nothing that I found exceptional. These are some good, not great comics.

Don't just take my word for it: Patrick Hester was more taken with the updated Red Sonja and he exhorted that people "should go read her story." Courtney Simpson wrote, "There are also times when some of the characters do not wear a lot of clothes, but I honestly thought that the story itself made up for that." Paul Fiander opined that "in Gail Simone Red Sonja has found a wonder storyteller who can give her the stories a character of her stature deserves."

Red Sonja: Queen of Plagues was published by Dynamite Entertainment, and they have a preview and much more here. This series is also available as a motion comic.

3 out of 4 is not so bad, but will Comixology Unlimited raise their batting average tomorrow? Come back and see!

1 comment:

  1. Simone changed the name and pretty much everything else she could about Sonja and couldn't even be bothered to use the moniker. had Sonja buying sex slaves in the next arc she has Sonja buying sex slaves. Can't say much good for Simone's work on this.

    ReplyDelete