Thursday, August 20, 2026

Housecat Trouble

I got this book with my kids at HeroesCon this year, and I finally pried it away from them long enough to read it. I am glad I did, because it is a charming and fun book. And best yet, there's a sequel to check out.

Housecat Trouble stars Buster, a yellow housecat, kitten almost, whose owner goes away for a day. Far from being a chill day of relaxation, Buster instead learns that his house is being overrun by a horde of monstrous house spirits. Fortunately for him, two stray cats Chauncey and Nova happen upon the scene and hatch a plan to deal with them.

Of course, the plan faces some complications, including machinations by crows and stray dogs. Still, the trio face these obstacles with ingenuity and bravery, making for tense chases and athletic feats. The artwork is well suited to the many facets of this book: It shows cute animals, conveys emotion and tone with skill, creates suspense and tension, and also jokes through situations, poses, and facial expressions. Also, the book has nuances, as the house spirits are also a little scarier than I expected, and Chauncey and Nova's tale of how they came to live in the wild is heart-breaking. Overall, I found it a delight to read, especially as a cat-owner. 

Housecat Trouble was written and drawn by Mason Dickerson. As far as I can tell, it is his first graphic novel, and it has a sequel subtitled Lost and Found. He speaks about his art in this interview.

The reviews I read about this book have all been positive. Stephanie Tournas called it "a hilarious coming of age story and personal odyssey, with witty and amusing repartee and immensely appealing graphic art." Alea Perez summed it up, "A charming, humorously silly, and unexpectedly touching story about the power of friendship and loyalty in the face of adversity."

Housecat Trouble was published by Random House Graphic, and they offer a preview and more info about it here

No comments:

Post a Comment