My oldest kid loves this series, and I cannot believe I have not reviewed a book from it until now. Spider-Man: Mighty Mayhem! is the fourth Mighty Marvel Team-Up book by Mike Maihack, who is best known for his Cleopatra in Space series of graphic novels that were also adapted as a cartoon series. In this book the web-spinner teams up with Thor and a gaggle of Asgardians who have run afoul of the Enchantress. She was scheming to steal powerful magical artifacts, and was thwarted by Odin but not before she could transform him, the magical items, and all the Asgardians into mundane animals and household objects.
Thor (in frog form) enlists Spider-Man to help find the artifacts before the Enchantress, and they journey across the different realms in order to fulfill their quest. Along the way, they encounter frost giants and other assorted obstacles, and there are lots of funny scenes, witty banter, and action sequences to enchant and delight readers.
The artwork is vibrant and energetic, and I loved getting to see so many different characters featured in an accessible and wonderful way. I very much enjoyed this romp across the Marvel Universe, and what is more, my oldest child declared it the best and their favorite of the four books. And each one is stand-alone, so anyone can pick up and get into the fun without knowing much about superheroes.
I was only able to locate two reviews of this book, and they were both positive. J. Caleb Mozzocco called it "a gentle, all-ages adventure with more jokes than fights, and another swathe of the Marvel Universe appealingly rendered in Maihack’s lovely style." Robert Greenberger wrote, "Aimed at readers 6-9, the book will most definitely satisfy and amuse them."
Spider-Man: Mighty Mayhem! was published by Abrams Fanfare, and they offer more information about it here.


No comments:
Post a Comment